Monday, March 24, 2008

We're pregnant!!!

Today was the first day I was supposed to test. Admittedly the thought was constantly in the back of my mind. Sunday I had kind of forgotten about it until we were driving home from Easter dinner then it dawned on me that...."Oh crap! Tomorrow's D-day!" I started to get nervous but I was telling myself I really wasn't expecting any results today.

I ended up having a really restless night's sleep. The dogs were restless, Y was restless, and I had an upset stomach...off to the bathroom at 3:30am. I settled back into bed but continued to toss and turn. I was really warm and just wasn't getting a sound sleep. Y was up at 6:30 for a call with the east coast and I was going to try to get a bit more sleep. This continued until about 8 when I finally gave up.

I took my temperature, just like every morning, and it was up! Yay! I eventually dragged myself out of my warm cocoon of a bed and into the bathroom to test. The control line immediately appeared and I figured for sure it was a negative. I'd seen this happen so many times before. I took the stick to the sink and laid it on the vanity. I washed my hands and brushed my teeth to start my day. I was disappointed but not terribly upset since it was what I was expecting. As I was brushing my teeth, I glanced over at the stick and thought I saw a second line. My head whipped around and I stared at the stick with the toothbrush dangling from my mouth. There seems to be a second line! I quickly finish brushing, pick up the stick and stare at the second line. Am I seeing things? Is it really there? I think it is but it's SO faint! I now have a huge grin on my face and start jumping up and down. Wait! I'm pregnant! I better not do that!

I get dressed, walk out of the bedroom and there stands Y....he had just finished feeding the dogs. I just stand in the doorway, looking at him and said "Ummm. I think we are!" He laughed and said "We?" I replied, "Okay, me, but I need you to confirm I'm not seeing things." I take him into the bathroom where the test stick remains on the vanity. Y says, "I was going to let you sleep in since you had a rough night." I told him I didn't care about that and asked him to look at the test stick. "Do you see a second line?" "You mean this one? Nope. Don't see it." Jerk. Leave it to him to pester me over something so important. I begin to get really excited and go grab the camera for proof.

I was seriously on cloud nine. Grinning from ear to ear, not quite sure I believed it but knew this was good news. I then head straight for the Internet....yes, my Internet friends knew before the rest of my family! How is anyone supposed to keep this news a secret!?

My mom called this morning with some sad news about her sister (my Aunt). In hopes of cheering her up, I told her our news. Her response was less than enthusiastic. I know her mind was elsewhere but I was hurt.

I then called my RE's office since they told me to let them know when we got a positive if it was before the 28th. Of all days, I get the bitchy receptionist. I told her I tested and got a faint positive this morning. She then goes on to berate me as to why I tested so early. I told her I had asked Dr. H when we could start testing and he told us 10 days out which was today. She continues her rant, apparently NOT believing that Dr. H would tell me such a thing since they can only tell patients to test at 14 days out. Whatever. Just schedule my beta draw, dangit! I was told a positive would be a positive so I really needed to wait until 14 days past my IUI but I can call Thursday so my draw can be scheduled first thing Friday morning. Great. Fine. Hurt times two....is NO ONE happy for us!?

The one person I knew would be thrilled is my sister. I call her up at work, trying to make myself sound normal and told her I had a question for her. I asked her if she was ready to be an aunt which was met with immediate screams. (My sister works in an elementary school office so I found this amusing.) Then when reality hit she kept asking if I was serious. Yes, yes I'm serious! FYI, one of the other secretaries and assistant principal know as well.

Well...there went our plan for telling everyone! At this point, since two people knew, we decided to tell the rest of the family. I emailed my brother and sister-in-law at their work, made signs for my nieces and nephew to tell them over the web cam that said Coming soon....December 5, 2008... Baby J....I'm Pregnant, and called Y's family.

While this is the best news of the year we have to remain cautiously optimistic. I still have several Beta levels to be tested every two days, beginning Friday. If those double (or more than double) we can breathe a sigh of relief. The next hurdle will be hearing the heartbeat.

I can't believe it! WE'RE PREGNANT! 19 months of hell and now we're finally pregnant! I think this news may sink in soon....at least I hope it's well before the baby arrives!

2 comments:

Brandi said...

Congratulations, Jen!!!! Your story made me tear up, btw.

((HUGS))

Muffin Cake said...

Oh my gosh...total complete goose bumps. I am SO thrilled for you and Y! SUPER congrats!!!!!