Thursday, August 28, 2008

End of August Randomness Wrap-up

It seems my posts have just been weekly progress, belly pics, and the latest worries from the fall. Because of this I missed out on a few happenings in August.

First, Y and I celebrated our 4th anniversary. Sadly, with being gone on vacation, delayed a few days on the return trip, and then dealing with the aftermath of my fall we both kind of forgot. Before leaving on vacation I did remember to pick up a card but we hadn't discussed gifts or what, if anything, we were going to do this year. The 14th rolled around very quickly and neither of us were prepared (unless you count my card for Y). The only person who did remember was my Mom. She sent us a gorgeous bouquet of flowers. (Thanks, Mom!) Only later did I find out that we received the flowers because she too forgot until the day of. While we have a ton of things to celebrate this year, it was disappointing to see that such an important date in our lives was given last thought. We're definitely going to work on keeping those important dates important in the future! It's not about the gifts or the cards, it's taking the time to give the day some thought...none of which happened this year.

August 19th brought another tough day. The 19th was my Dad's birthday. This December will be 5 years since he passed. Each year I think the monumental "Dad" days will get easier. They don't. While it's likely a blessing he's not on this earth while we've dealt with some scares during this pregnancy I know he would have been our number 1 supporter. However, he also would have been worried sick. He would have called daily wanting updates, begging me to move back "home" so he can take care of us. While this is all endearing to a certain extent, it would have been more stress on me. I miss him dearly. While I know he's looking down on us and likely protecting us, I'm so sad our daughter will never know what a wonderful Grandpa she would have had in him. He loved and adored his kids and grandkids...no one could ever fault him for that.

August has also brought changes for Y. When we moved from NY almost three years ago, Y was supposed to be transferred to the local branch of his company. For 2 1/2 years, he continued to work remotely for the NY office. This really wasn't an issue since he worked with teams from China, Australia, and western NY so his physical location wasn't ever an issue. There were some recent management changes within the company and someone finally looked at the employee charts and realized that Y, living in AZ, was working for NY while employee K, living in NY, was working for AZ. Can we see where this is going? Management questioned these logistics (which we had been doing for 2+ years) and decided a change needed to be made. So Y is now working for the local office on a whole new project and an entirely new department. Previously, Y wrote documentation for software products. He's now jumped to the other side and is writing for hardware products. So, not only is he preparing for fatherhood but he now has to learn the methods of a new team, project, and manager. This also includes frequent trips into the local office for team meetings and poking and prodding the hardware he documents.

While the end of August brings us that much closer to the Little Miss' arrival and even less time to complete all those tasks we need to complete, we're glad to see it go. This month has been stressful, disappointing, busy, and just all around not a fun month. We're hoping September brings a more calm month...somehow I don't see that happening since September brings my Mom's arrival for a month, birthing classes, and us getting sole responsibility for Y's 96yo grandmother while his parents are away on a 5 week vacation.

September also brings us to our 10-year anniversary. Yes, folks, Y and I have been together for 10 years, married for 4 of those now. It's completely crazy to think we've been together for an entire decade of our lives and this decade is bringing one of the biggest changes life can bring! We can't wait to see what else this next decade brings!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm kinda skipping ahead here since I'm at work (bad bad) but I wanted to stop at this post. You're dad was so awesome and such a great guy even in the little time I knew him. I'm sorry it's still such a sad day for you but I think it never goes away only because of how much you love him. His birthday is the same day as my sister's birthday I never knew that. :) I'll always remember that now!