Friday, September 5, 2008

Belly Pics and Glucose Tolerance Testing


I went for my Glucose Tolerance Test today. I was given about 8-10 ounces of pure (flavored) sugar water, otherwise known as Glucola. I had 5 minutes to consume the bottle of Glucola. I had to laugh when I was given the choice between Orange or Fruit Punch flavors. When I asked which was better, the technician laughed and said "They're both horrible." I opted for orange. For those of you never having had the joy of experiencing Glucola, go find yourself the nearest McDonalds, ask for an orange soda then add about a cup of sugar to it. That's what orange-flavored Glucola tastes like. I couldn't move around for the hour-long test, nor was I allowed more than a few sips of water. Movement, lots of water, and of course food would scew the results. So I sat. For an hour. I tried reading but the lab was so busy I couldn't focus for more than a few minutes at a time. The Little Miss didn't get too active until the last few minutes of the hour. I had severe heartburn shortly after consuming the bottle of Glucola but felt otherwise okay......until I hit the 2 hour post-Glucola- consumption hour. At that point I started getting really queasy. I was told not to consume any other sugar today as I'd had about two days worth of sugar in that one drink. Ick! No wonder I felt so icky. I've yet to knock the queasiness and general icky feeling (Can I use the word icky any more?). In fact, my attempts at eating dinner were met with immediate revolting from my stomach (Hence the not so thrilled look on my face in the belly pics.). I'm really, really hoping I pass this one-hour test. If I don't, I have to return for a 3-hour test. By the time hour 3 hit today, I was feeling really shaky and queasy so let's hope I don't have to repeat this test and can pass it on the first try!

When I was done with the testing and blood draws, Y and I stopped to see his 96 year-old grandmother in her nursing home. Her short-term memory isn't real great these days but she never fails to forget that I'm pregnant and due the day before her birthday. We hadn't been for a visit in quite a few weeks so I was expecting a comment on the belly. Last time her comment was "That's not a baby belly. It's all fat!" This time I was rewarded with "You're not very big at all!" At least I wasn't told it was all fat. Ha!


No comments: