Thursday, July 17, 2008

20 weeks (and 1 day)!

We're at the half-way point! I have a feeling I might start having small panic attacks the more I realize the number of weeks remaining is less than the number of weeks along! Eek! It's not that I'm scared of having this little girl, far from it, it's the fact that there is SO much to do in seemingly SO little time. I know we'll get there but our Little Miss To-Do List is ever increasing in length!

Here's what's happening with the Little Miss this week:
She's now about the length of a banana! Measurements, beginning at 20 weeks, are now taken from head to heel rather than head to bottom. The Little Miss is about 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel. She now weighs about 10 1/2 ounces.

She is swallowing more these days, which is good practice for her digestive system. She can begin tasting all the varying flavors Mama is eating as she swallows the amniotic fluid. She's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in her bowels, and we'll see it in her first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery). Here's what the Little Miss may look like inside my belly:
The Little Miss is also becoming quite the prolific mover! I've had several strong kicks and movements this week. On Sunday I was actually able to see my belly move in response to her movement. Last night, I was sitting peacefully on the couch when she kicked so hard it startled me. Y was in the office, working, when I yelled into him that his daughter was beating me up from the inside. He tried to feel her movements but the little stinker settled down for a while.

20 week belly pics coming soon.....

1 comment:

Suzanne Anas Jurich said...

woo hoo!!! You are at the halfway point!!!! This is great!! And yay for a baby girl!! :)