Monday, December 3, 2007

HSG Day!

Today was the day!

I was supposed to arrive to the lab 30-45 minutes early. I had to take 600mg of ibuprofen an hour before the procedure and 2 Valium's about 30 minutes prior. I was feeling pretty good when it was time to head back. Y was with me since we didn't know how the Valium would affect my ability to drive home.

Dr. H was called when I was all signed in and ready to go. I stripped and put on one of those lovely "flash your ass" hospital gowns. They had me climb up on one of those big x-ray slabs and place my feet in some very awkward stirrups.

Dr. H came in and everyone was suited up with the lead vests. While he was prepping the catheter he explained that the blood work results came back and I definitely have PCOS. I'll be starting the Metformin later this week. Everything else in the blood work looked good though.

The catheter going in was a little uncomfortable but the fluid being injected did cause a fair amount of pressure. The following is confirmation of just why I love Dr. H so much:
Dr. H (as the catheter is being inserted and his head is buried in my crotch): How're you doing up there?
Me: I'm doing okay!
Dr. H (head still in my crotch but peeking over the sheet): You're going to feel some pressure as the dye is injected.
Me: Okay.
Dr. H: Still doing okay up there?

Meanwhile, I'm thinking I appreciate his concern but carrying on a conversation while his head is buried in my crotch is not the most pleasant experience.

Y was standing next to me the whole time and we both got to watch the dye go through my fallopian tubes and into my uterus. Everything looked great. There seemed to be no blockages and everything looked normal.

We'll see how I do on the Metformin since it's too late in my cycle to start any fetility meds. I'll return in January or February to see if I'm ovulating on my own or if I'll have to go back on Clomid.

No comments: