Friday, June 20, 2008

16 Weeks (and 2 days)! We have toenails!

Some weeks it feels like time is flying by and others I think "I'm only at week 16!?" Life has been good but busy. Work has me swamped but one of these days I'll get ahead!

Baby J is between 4 1/2 and 5 inches long now and about the size of an avocado at 3 1/2 ounces.


This is about what Baby J may look like inside my belly:

Here's what's happening with Baby J this week:
His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. Baby J's ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. Baby J has even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as Baby J continues to develop.

In other developments, WE HAVE MOVEMENT!!! I've been feeling some odd sensations in my belly for a few days now. I've wondered if it was the baby but could never be 100% sure. Last night, I pulled out the doppler before I went to sleep to listen to the heartbeat. While I had the wand pressed on my belly, Baby J started moving! We, of course, could hear it on the doppler but then I started feeling it, too. My thoughts were confirmed...Baby J is squirming around enough for me to feel it! It was the neatest and strangest sensation all rolled into one. When he (or she) wiggles it almost feels like a goldfish is swimming in my belly. Not that I have ANY idea what that feels like but it's the closest way to describe it.

Belly pics will be coming soon. I haven't had a chance to take any for this week but I'll get on that!

Source: BabyCenter

1 comment:

Alea said...

Feeling your baby move inside your belly is such a wonderful feeling! Enjoy every moment of it.....as I'm sure you will!!